Sunday, January 16, 2011

Eternal Sunshine (R) 8.5

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004): A couple undergo a procedure to erase each other from their memories when their relationship turns sour, but it is only through the process of loss that they discover what they had to begin with.

Director: Michel Gondry
Stars: Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet and Tom Wilkinson

Even though this movie had very good press when it came out, I don't think I saw it until it was mentioned in a RadioLab show about Memory and Forgetting (see my blog entry Memories). The movie is a SciFi and a romance. It is about finding out what you have, only after you lose it. There are no do-overs in RL, but, perhaps ... And, when you know that people have been successful in erasing memories from lab mice, this story becomes very interesting and a touch realistic. You have to see the movie a couple of times to fully understand what scene fits where. I very highly recommend it. My Rating: 8.5