Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The God Who Wasn't There (PG) 6.5

The God Who Wasn't There (2005): Documentary filmmaker Brian Flemming examines the Bible and discusses the history of early Christianity, raising doubts as to whether the New Testament personage Jesus ever really existed. (7.0)

Director: Brian Flemming
Writer: Brian Flemming
Stars: Sam Harris, Robert M. Price and Richard Carrier

I'm one of the biggest skeptics around, but to me, this documentary felt like a half-baked effort.  I understand that the writer/director was an evangelical christian at one point and now has serious doubts so he has his point of view; but the documentary should not have tried to take his side from the outset.  Perhaps, it should have built its case with various serious scholarly efforts rather than comparing the story of Jesus to today's myths on the internet.  Somehow, by taking a lighter approach, it lost a bit of credibility and cheapened the effort.  Yes, I get it, if you make it a serious and boring academic effort, no one will look at it; and by making it a bit funny, you get the point across.  As an atheist, the documentary didn't tell me anything I didn't already know/suspected.  Now, Mr. Deity web videos take the completely humorous approach.  Still, an A for effort!  My Rating: 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment