Saturday, May 5, 2012

Into the Wild (R) 8.0

Into the Wild (2007): After graduating from Emory University, top student and athlete Christopher McCandless abandons his possessions, gives his entire $24,000 savings account to charity and hitchhikes to Alaska to live in the wilderness. Along the way, Christopher encounters a series of characters that shape his life. (8.2)

Director: Sean Penn
Writers: Sean Penn (screenplay), Jon Krakauer (book)
Stars: Emile Hirsch, Vince Vaughn and Catherine Keener

Just by reading the short description of the movie, I didn't think it was going to be much of anything.  But, more I learned the back story of the main character, the more I liked it.  And, the way it is presented with various cuts into the past, some voice-over by the sister, the grainy pictures from the really past, all of that give a good artsy atmosphere to the storytelling.  Yes, the story, the visuals, the acting, ... are pretty darn good.  I wish I could do it ... go into the wild, or I should have done many years ago, since the alternative is pretty lame as it were.  This is one of those movies that makes you question your perceived reality.  I highly recommend this one.  My Rating: 8.0

No comments:

Post a Comment