Sunday, August 7, 2011

Facing Death (TV) 7.5

Facing Death (2010): How far would you go to sustain the life of someone you love, or your own? When the moment comes, and you're confronted with the prospect of "pulling the plug," do you know how you'll respond?

Written, Produced & Directed by: Miri Navasky & Karen O'Connor
Narrator: Will Lyman

This is a very difficult documentary to watch. (The link above is to the full program at PBS Frontline web site.) But, this is something everyone should think about, talk about, and plan for. (I know what I want; take me off the machines right away.) I went through something similar with my mother's end of life care in the summer of 2010, except I didn't have to make the decision. This PBS program shows the delicate balance the physicians have to take when informing the patients and loved ones. Sometimes, I think they are being too delicate. There should be someone impartial, not the care givers, not the loved ones, but someone else who should bluntly give the objective truth without sugar coating it. The states given at the end are eye opening. (And, to think that the opportunity to have this frank discussion is what the stupid right wing in this country termed the "death panels". People who purposefully misrepresent this end of life discussion are soulless pigs.) My Rating: 7.5