Thursday, September 15, 2011

Stay (R) 7.5

Stay (I) (2005): This movie focuses on the attempts of a psychiatrist to prevent one of his patients from committing suicide while trying to maintain his own grip on reality. (6.8)

Director: Marc Forster
Writer: David Benioff
Stars: Ewan McGregor, Naomi Watts and Ryan Gosling

The above description from the IMDB only scratches the surface of what this movie is. But then, any more than that will spoil the experience for the first time viewer. The storyline has a lot of stuff about suicides (uncomfortably close or intimately and soothingly familiar (?)) but it had me guessing at who's who, what's what and what's real. Nice use of imagery. While I've seen and driven across the Brooklyn bridge, I've never actually walked across ... hmmm, perhaps. (Been reading lots of fundamental physics books lately, and) while not the intention of the writer, this movie also reminds me that things happen the way they are; no reason; time is a series of 'Now's or moments. Haunting, and surrealistic. Enjoyed it very much. My Rating: 7.5