Monday, May 28, 2012

Weight of the Nation (PG) 8.0

The Weight of the Nation (2012): Confronting America's obesity epidemic. 

Director: Dan Chaykin
Writer: Dan Chaykin

[IMDB info section on this one is pretty sparse for now.] The entire four-part full-legnth feature set, plus lots of other smaller parts are available at http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/ and kudos to HBO for making them available free of charge. This is one of the best documentary series I've seen. It is full of information, it gives your ideas to take action on your own and it doesn't blame just one person, cause or a group; and ends on a pretty upbeat note that we as a society can overcome this crisis. Yes, some people will say "tell me something I don't know" if they are pretty cynical and have given up the whole struggle. But it shows you in several segments how others have overcome the weight issue. If you watch it with an eye towards learning from what has worked for others, there are some good tips. Having lost 20% (30 lbs) in a very short period of time and having gained about 5 lbs back, I certainly can sympathize with those who have much larger obstacles than I have. It is a constant struggle and the Food, Inc. (now that's another good movie), by which I mean the processed food industry, is partly to blame. Perhaps, when we stop subsidizing the things that are slowly killing us, maybe, we will turn the corner. I very highly recommend this series. Watch it; learn from it; tell others about it.  My Rating: 8.0

No comments:

Post a Comment