Thursday, February 16, 2012

Natural City (R) 7.5

Natural City (2003)(내츄럴 시티): In the year 2080, the world is connected by a massive computer network. Combiners have developed a process that allows them to merge the souls of human and machine/cyborg, wreaking havoc in a deeply divided society. (5.8)

Director: Byung-chun Min
Writer: Byung-chun Min
Stars: Ji-tae Yu, Jae-un Lee and Rin Seo
Language: Korean (w/ English subtitles)

Heh, lots of stuff borrowed from Blade Runner. Even some of the scenes and visuals are directly from that classic movie. But, this move does hold on its own. It has an interesting story, has a visually appealing {ahem} cast and the futuristic dystopian scenes are done nicely. I kept repeating the "do androids dream of electric sheep" title to myself quite a lot while watching. :-) The martial arts sequences are a bit too much for my liking, but this is a Korean movie designed for a specific demographic, I guess. As a non-Hollywood sci-fi, I'm quite impressed. My Rating: 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment