Monday, July 23, 2012

A Dangerous Method (R) 6.5

A Dangerous Method (2011): A look at how the intense relationship between Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud gives birth to psychoanalysis. (6.6)

Director: David Cronenberg
Writers: Christopher Hampton (screenplay), John Kerr (book), Christopher Hampton (play "The Talking Cure") 
Stars: Michael Fassbender, Keira Knightley and Viggo Mortensen


The problem with a movie with historical figures is that it is compared against the (perceived) real history. In this case, the story is about Freud and his close associate Jung. Since I haven't studied/followed the real life characters all that much, I kept wanting to know more theory of the psychiatry and psychoanalysis. I should have remembered that this is a movie and followed the story.  The acting is great.  Keira Knightley reminded me of Angelina Jolie in "Girl, Interrupted". I think, Freud's character has been dumbed down a bit by the whimsical inference of "everything boils down to sexuality."  Intriguing ... a bit.  My Rating: 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment