Saturday, June 25, 2011

God Grew Tired of Us (PG) 6.0

God Grew Tired of Us (2006): Four boys from Sudan embark on a journey to America after years of wandering Sub-Saharan Africa in search of safety. (7.9)

Directors: Christopher Dillon Quinn, Tommy Walker
Stars: Panther Bior, John Bul Dau and Nicole Kidman

This is a documentary film. The first part is about what happened in Southern Sudan as a result of the civil war; specifically the hardship some 27,000 boys had to endure for many years. The second part is about four of those boys who were fortunate enough to be granted refugee status in the US and how they adjusted to life here. Made me think of my (similar) experiences as an immigrant, but I didn't have to flee a war zone for thousands of miles when I was 13. But by trying to make it a personalize story, I think, the documentary lost a bit of the big picture of the plight of the Sudanese villages. My Rating: 6.0