Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Rainmaker (PG-13) 6.5

The Rainmaker (1997): An idealistic young lawyer and his cynical partner take on a powerful law firm representing a corrupt insurance company.

Director: Francis Ford Coppola
Writers: John Grisham (novel), Francis Ford Coppola (screenplay)
Stars: Matt Damon, Danny DeVito, Claire Danes

Uh, why do I get the feeling that I've seen this type of good lawyer movies before?  Because,  I have.  It is the young, fresh out of college, want to do good lawyer against the big corporations with expensive lawyers in a country courthouse. Danny DeVito is perfect for the cynical side-kick. Matt Damon in his 1997 freshness is also the right casting for the I-haven't-tried-a-case-before-this lawyer. I'm sure the novel is a lot more nuanced than this all the pieces fit right into a nice little puzzle movie. It is enjoyable and you route for the little guy and all, but it is all too predictable. A good movie to kill time with when you like it better dead. My Rating: 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment