Thursday, October 27, 2011

Unmistaken Child (G) 7.0

Unmistaken Child (2008): In Nepal, a venerable monk, Geshe Lama Konchog, dies and one of his disciples, a youthful monk named Tenzin Zopa, searches for his master's reincarnation. (7.2)

Director: Nati Baratz
Writer: Nati Baratz
Stars: Tenzin Zopa

This movie provides a fascinating glimpse into how Buddhism is being practiced in the Himalaya region. I grew up a Buddhist, but this practice of actively trying to find the reincarnation of a monk is not seen in Sri Lanka. While not the central theme of the movie, you can see the level of devotion of the followers and the accumulation of power and wealth in the religious hierarchies. (Where have we seen that before? In all major religions!) I am ever so skeptical; but the process is certainly interesting. If I'm reincarnated, I definitely want to come back as a peasant in that part of the world where I can see the snow capped mountain ranges every day. Beautiful cinematography. Interesting tale. Not preachy; will not give you insights into Buddhism. My Rating: 7.0

[PS: When I mentioned this movie to someone, he said "oh, these people with reincarnation ...." And, yet he believes in God. I don't know which myth (reincarnation or God) is more stupid. YMMV.]