Monday, October 3, 2011

The Painted Veil (PG-13) 8.0

The Painted Veil (2006): A British medical doctor fights a cholera outbreak in a small Chinese village, while also being trapped at home in a loveless marriage to an unfaithful wife. (7.5)

Director: John Curran
Writers: Ron Nyswaner (screenplay), W. Somerset Maugham (novel)
Stars: Naomi Watts, Edward Norton and Liev Schreiber

I haven't read the novel by Somerset Maugham so the story is fresh to me; yet I couldn't help but project my own life situations and values onto the characters. In the end, that may have enhanced the poignant parts of the story, for me (YMMV). The beautiful, majestic Chinese countryside, and the excellent cinematography to capture it, were added bonuses in the film. This screenplay done in 2006 could have added a bit more depth to the Chinese characters in the story. (Memorable quote: "As if a woman ever loved a man for his virtue") My Rating: 8.0