Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Dancer Upstairs (R) 7.5

The Dancer Upstairs (2002): A police detective in a South American country is dedicated to hunting down a revolutionary guerrilla leader. (6.9)

Director: John Malkovich
Writers: Nicholas Shakespeare (novel), Nicholas Shakespeare (screenplay)
Stars: Javier Bardem, Laura Morante and Juan Diego Botto

Layers. Its got layers of stories, confusion, humor, violence by the guerrillas, the disregard for the law or the people by the dictatorship government, etc. In the midst of all of that Bardem's character has internal conflicts. It is said that the story is inspired by true events in Peru in 1992. A great screenplay and it has the right amount of action, humor and intense drama. [Since it was a directed by Malkovich, I thought that it is an English movie; I should have watched it in Spanish w/ English subtitles. I'll do that I watch it again.] My Rating: 7.5