Monday, December 5, 2011

The Lake House (PG) 7.0

The Lake House (2006): A lonely doctor who once occupied an unusual lakeside home begins exchanging love letters with its former resident, a frustrated architect. They must try to unravel the mystery behind their extraordinary romance before it's too late. (6.7)

Director: Alejandro Agresti
Writers: David Auburn (screenplay), Eun-Jeong Kim (motion picture "Siworae")
Stars: Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock and Christopher Plummer

I knew going into it that this was the Hollywood remake of the Korean movie Il Mare and I watched this after Il Mare. They'd kept the main storyline the same but added a bit more to complicate matters. I didn't like that; much. I really liked the simplicity of the Korean movie. (spoiler alert) Also, Sandra Bullocks character going back and forth between love interests in differing time periods made it more complicated to understand, and more importantly, by doing so lost that sense of vulnerability. Between the two movies, if I have to pick Sandra Bullock vs Gianna Jun ... I pick Ms. Jun. {grin} This movie, by itself, is a really good one. Not a sci-fi by any means and some of the time-shifts and sequences make little sense, if at all; but that's not its main theme. My Rating: 7.0