Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Smoke (R) 6.0

Smoke (1995): A Brooklyn smoke shop is the center of neighborhood activity, and the stories of its customers. (7.4)

Director: Wayne Wang and Paul Auster
Writer: Paul Auster
Stars: Harvey Keitel, William Hurt and Giancarlo Esposito

Uh, if this was supposed to be funny, it wasn't even all that humorous. If it is supposed to depict the inner good of people ... this is just politically correctness gone too far and trying to show everything is honky dory and everybody is just getting along. Really? In Brooklyn, NY? Yeah, right. Tell me another one. I've been in various places in NYC enough times to know that people are not at all like that and this movie is just wishful thinking high on a shot of stupid. Even the actors are sometimes smirking at the absurdity of the dialog. I guess, most people see this as a new kind of a Christmas tale or something, but for me it is just lousy storytelling. My Rating: 6.0

No comments:

Post a Comment