Saturday, October 27, 2012

Flowers for Algernon (PG) 7.5

Flowers for Algernon (2000): Charlie Gordon is mentally handicapped and all he wants in life is to be a genius. When he gets picked for experimental surgery it looks like his dream may finally come true. (6.7)

Director: Jeff Bleckner
Writers: Daniel Keyes (novel), John Pielmeier (teleplay)
Stars: Matthew Modine, Kelli Williams and Richard Chevolleau

I waited until I finished the book before watching this movie. Of course, the book is a lot more complex and it follows the "progress reports," which the movie decided not to do. This is a made for TV movie and the colors have faded quite a bit in the version I saw (kind of surprised at that in this day and age of various digital preservation methods). Matthew Modine is excellent portraying Charlie in all his complexities. Yeah, heartbreaking. I highly recommend the book (first) and the movie. My Rating: 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment