Saturday, March 17, 2012

Gosford Park (R) 7.0

Gosford Park (2001): Multiple storylined drama set in 1932, showing the lives of upstairs guest and downstairs servants at a party in a country house in England. (7.3)

Director: Robert Altman
Writers: Robert Altman (idea), Bob Balaban (idea), Julian Fellowes
Stars: Maggie Smith, Ryan Phillippe and Michael Gambon

I had to keep telling myself that this is a movie and my disgust towards that silly English class system should not color my attitude towards this movie. Yes, (I'm told by articles such as the Wikipedia entry) apparently it depicts the 1930's class structure quite well. They speak amazingly fast and even with the subtitles on, I think I missed about 20%. The English wit is hard to catch on a good day, with this fast dialog, I was having a hard time grasping onto the tail of some of the jokes, but it was fine. On the other hand, this is not a who done it Agatha Christie type story in the sense that the detective part is pretty minimal. The same writer has integrated the themes from this movie into Downton Abbey. Those who like that sort of thing would love this movie (does that make sense?), but me, ... I, uh, s'okay I suppose. My Rating: 7.0

No comments:

Post a Comment