Thursday, November 8, 2012

Paul (R) 7.0

Paul (2011): Two British comic-book geeks traveling across the U.S. encounter an alien outside Area 51. (7.0)

Director: Greg Mottola
Writers: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost
Stars: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Seth Rogen, Jason Bateman

This is a comedy--a spoof with movies such as the ET, the Third Kind, and the Alien in mind--and not a Sci-Fi per se. The set-ups for the humorous bits, while the story is still rolling, is pretty good. But you have to be a sci-fi/comic type to understand some of the humorous moments. The genius is in the seamless use of some of the lines of other movies and delivering them straight-face. After watching it, I noticed that the two guys who wrote the script took on the main roles and that's pretty brave; they do give pretty convincing performances. Even some of the scenes are spoofed perfectly, so I do give a notch higher in my rating than I would have otherwise. My Rating: 7.0

No comments:

Post a Comment