Saturday, January 5, 2013

In Time (PG-13) 7.5

In Time (2011): In a future where people stop aging at 25, but are engineered to live only one more year, having the means to buy your way out of the situation is a shot at immortal youth. Here, Will Salas finds himself accused of murder and on the run with a hostage - a connection that becomes an important part of the way against the system. (6.6)

Director: Andrew Niccol
Writer: Andrew Niccol
Stars: Justin Timberlake, Amanda Seyfried and Cillian Murphy

When the movie started out with everyone having a huge, green countdown clock on his or her forearm, I thought "so, that's all there is to it? this is just like TiMER" but the story continued to evolve and it got better. We all know the notion that time is money; this movie takes it to the next step and time becomes money. Actually, there are quite a lot of parallels between that however far-fetched world and our ever so skewed money-is-king society of today. And, the screenwriters did get a few nice lines with "time" replacing what one would not normally use today. And, it made me think about what is time and money for us, and how we all are slaves to money (like those in the movie who are slaves to time). I know who Timberlake is from popular culture but not much more than that. I thought he did a decent enough job as the lead. Amanda Seyfried, with the red hair, played the Femme Fatale part to perfection. Because of her character, I'm giving this movie half a score higher than I would have otherwise. The use of the old-style vehicles and buildings etc with a few mods to make them look futuristic was creative and it worked for me (given the storyline). From the description, I didn't expect much, but I was pleasantly surprised. My Rating: 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment