Thursday, April 14, 2011

Star Trek (PG-13) 7.0

Star Trek (2009): A chronicle of the early days of James T. Kirk and his fellow USS Enterprise crew members. (8.1)

Director: J.J. Abrams
Stars: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Simon Pegg

I'm not a Trekkie, but I've seen a lot of the movies and the original series. The TNG, Voyager, etc spin-offs were not my cups of tea. So, I didn't think this new, improved and lemon scented version would hold my interest much longer. But, I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, the set, special effects, cinematography, etc have been quite improved compared to the original series, but, IMHO, the characters were quite true to form. And, I love time-travel stories, so that aspect of the story was an added bonus for me. I'm sure a true Trekkie would have seen quite a lot of parallels between this movie and the original series in the scenes and the dialogs, but even I could spot a few memorable lines. Nicely done, 'nuff said. And, Spock and Uhura ... who woulda thunk it? :-) My Rating: 7.0