Tuesday, February 26, 2013

This Is Spinal Tap (R) 7.0

This Is Spinal Tap (1984): Spinal Tap, the world's loudest band, is chronicled by hack documentarian Marty DeBergi on what proves to be a fateful tour. (8.0)

Director: Rob Reiner
Writers: Christopher Guest, Michael McKean
Stars: Rob Reiner, Michael McKean, Christopher Guest

Somehow I missed seeing this cult classic for so long, but I'd heard about the 18-inch Stonehenge and the Amp that goes to 11. Yes, this has all the spoofs of an 80s rock band, and the mocumentary style before the name was coined. The dead-pan delivery of the jokes is superb. This is one of those movies that you have to see several times to get all the jokes and innuendos. At the same time, you have to have the 80s rock background, familiar with the big hair, the in-fighting etc. etc to get some of the punchlines, I think. Had I seen this closer to that era, I would have given it a notch higher I guess. Still, a darn good spoof. My Rating: 7.0

No comments:

Post a Comment