Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Ledge (R) 8.0

The Ledge (2011): A police officer looks to talk down a young man lured by his lover's husband to the ledge of a high rise, where he has one hour to contemplate a fateful decision. (6.4)

Director: Matthew Chapman
Writer: Matthew Chapman
Stars: Charlie Hunnam, Terrence Howard, Liv Tyler

I decided to watch this movie again. Looking back at what I wrote the first time, I don't think  I can improve on it. So, here is that same review:  The story here is not what it seems on the surface. (My initial interest in this movie was because that "being on the ledge" is one of my 14 selected {ahem} "methods," but this movie isn't a suicidal rant.) It brings out quite a few very intelligent conversations about what it means to be evangelical, atheist, gay, straight, addict, faithful, loyal, family, etc. Each character brings out very complex situations and evokes varying emotions. The acting is a bit weak at some places, but I can get past that because the themes are very strong. Yes, I know, lots of "god-fearing Americans" (whatever that may means to you) may not like the story. But this movie will question what your faith really is. This is a thinking-man's movie. I highly recommend it, but be sure to bring your open mind. My Rating: 8.0

No comments:

Post a Comment