Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Blood Simple (R) 7.0

Blood Simple (1984): A rich but jealous man hires a private investigator to kill his cheating wife and her new man. But, when blood is involved, nothing is simple. (7.7)

Directors: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen (uncredited)
Writers: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Stars: John Getz, Frances McDormand, Dan Hedaya

A couple of years ago, I saw this movie's remake by the Chinese director Yimou Zhang, titled A Woman, a Gun and a Noodle Shop.  So, coming into this movie I knew a bit about what the plot might be and what sort of a black comedy it is supposed to be. Even though it was in Mandarin (therefore, I know I probably missed quite a few jokes) I found Zhang's remake funnier, and cinematographic-wise better. Still, as the original this one is quite nice; yet I found the situations a bit more perplexing initially and only to later realize the hilarity in it. Perhaps, there is a moral in the story, but it is just too absurd. :-)  Just checked to see that this is the first movie of the prolific duo Joel and Ethan Coen. My Rating: 7.0

No comments:

Post a Comment