Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Edge of Heaven (NR) 6.5

The Edge of Heaven (2007) "Auf der anderen Seite": A Turkish man travels to Istanbul to find the daughter of his father's former girlfriend. (7.8)

Director: Fatih Akin
Writer: Fatih Akin
Stars: Baki Davrak, Gürsoy Gemec, Gengiz Daner

The movie has clearly marked segments (for what reason are they delineated like that, I'm not sure) but the various characters are all connected in complicated and convoluted ways. The section headings give away too much of the story to follow, therefore, loses elements for discovery and surprise. In my view, the story tries to fight too many social norms. I'm sure someone could remake this story as a black comedy since the coincidences and chance-connections are that many. I kept waiting for a connection to the title of the movie, The Edge of Heaven, but I don't think I saw it, leaving me with the feeling "yeah, okay, so everyone has trials and tribulations and some people have it tough what with the fundamentalist Islam's militancy on the rise, but ... meh, whatever." For me, none of the stories touched the heart like it could have had it been a single story about the struggle of one or two characters. My Rating: 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment