Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Hours (PG-13) 7.5

The Hours (2002): The story of how the novel "Mrs. Dalloway" affects three generations of women, all of whom, in one way or another, have had to deal with suicide in their lives. (7.5)

Director: Stephen Daldry
Writers: Michael Cunningham (novel), David Hare (screenplay)
Stars: Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman and Julianne Moore

The three stars listed above give command performances.  An interesting juxtaposition of three stories that deal with the same subject matter.  However, I feel that it isn't discussed deeply enough.  Then again, this is not a documentary about suicides or about Virginia Woolf; it is just an interesting take on the effects of the novel.  Having set the three stories in different time periods in different locations, the challenge for the folks behind the camera must have been tripled, but the work they've done is superb.  For my own reasons, I thought this movie would affect me a lot emotionally, but it didn't.  I was just fascinated by the stories.  My Rating: 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment