Friday, August 17, 2012

Before the Rain (PG-13) 7.5

Before the Rain (1994): The circularity of violence seen in a story that circles on itself. In Macedonia, during war in Bosnia, Christians hunt an ethnic Albanian girl who may have murdered one of their own. A young monk who's taken a vow of silence offers her protection... (7.9)

Director: Milcho Manchevski
Writer: Milcho Manchevski
Stars: Katrin Cartlidge, Rade Serbedzija and Grégoire Colin
Languages: Macedonian, English, Albanian

Yes, "The Circle is not Round" and some events are not quite as they seem. It is a tussle between love and hate even though the opposite of love is indifference. Interesting choice of events for the "cycle of violence" (I don't want to give away the plot here; but note who commits the violence on whom). A very good story. Picturesque settings for the first segment; but at the same time the acting is bit weak in that one. Since I took the 10 minutes to do a bit more background research about the movie after watching it, I understand it a lot better. I wish I could have gotten the same understanding from the movie itself ... My Rating: 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment