Sunday, August 19, 2012

Photographing Fairies (R) 6.5

Photographing Fairies (1997): Photographer Charles Castle is numbed with grief following the death of his beautiful bride. He goes off to war, working in the trenches as a photographer. Following the war and still in grief Charles is given some photographs purporting to be of fairies. (6.8)

Director: Nick Willing
Writers: Chris Harrald, Nick Willing and Steve Szilagyi (book)
Stars: Toby Stephens, Emily Woof and Ben Kingsley

I am fascinated by the main character's fascination of the fairies as the afterlife. The story shows that one man's grief with the death of his beloved wife has no boundaries. I liked the period costumes and the uniqueness of the storyline. What I like the most are the end scenes. Yet throughout the movie, I failed to put myself in the main character's frame of mind until that "end." It is that detachment and the typical British mumble-speak (at times) that makes me lower my score. My Rating: 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment