Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pretty in Pink (PG-13) 6.5

Pretty in Pink (1986) A poor girl must choose between the affections of her doting childhood sweetheart and a rich but sensitive playboy. (6.7)

Director: Howard Deutch
Writer: John Hughes
Stars: Molly Ringwald, Jon Cryer, Harry Dean Stanton

I'd seen bits and pieces of this movie previously, but this is the first time I watched the whole thing in one go. For those who grew up in the US in the 80s, watching this movie now will bring back some memories. Perhaps, it is easy to trivialize the trials of high school teenagers, but at least, the story here makes some attempt at putting a weight behind it. I wish they had revealed a bit more of the southern California locations ... would have been more nostalgic. OMD's "If you leave" is one of the more memorable remnants of this movie. Glad I watched it (again, so to speak). Oh yeah, I'm definitely Duckie, at least these days in my not-so-high-school life. So there's that. My Rating: 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment