Friday, July 25, 2014

My Girl (PG) 6.0

My Girl (1991)Vada Sultenfuss is obsessed with death. Her mother is dead, and her father runs a funeral parlor. She is also in love with her English teacher, and joins a poetry class over the summer just to impress him. Thomas J., her best friend, is "allergic to everything", and sticks with Vada despite her hangups.  (6.8)

Director: Howard Zieff
Writer: Laurice Elehwany
Stars: Anna Chlumsky, Macaulay Culkin, Dan Aykroyd, Jamie Lee Curtis

I supposed those who grew up in that time frame would feel quite nostalgic about the story told in this movie. I couldn't quite get into that, but I understand. The kids part of the story is also quite bitter-sweet and kudos to the writer for keeping it like that and not sugar-coat it. Growing up, love and loss are things a little girl is forced to learn quickly. Perhaps, something in the storytelling didn't resonate with me all that much. My Rating: 6.0

No comments:

Post a Comment