Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Dear Mr. Watterson (NR) 6.0

Dear Mr. Watterson (2013) : A documentary film about the impact of the newspaper comic strip Calvin & Hobbes, created by Bill Watterson. (6.3)

Director: Joel Allen Schroeder
Stars: Berkeley Breathed, Jef Mallett, Stephan Pastis

I love Calvin and Hobbes. Actually, I haven't known others who have the same obsession with them as I do, as that's not something I talk about with others. Apparently, there are many like me. But this is a review of one documentary about the comic strip and its creator. Okay, so the director wasn't able to talk Bill Watterson and there are no interviews, segments on creating the strip, explanation of how it all got started, etc. So, the whole movie looks a lot like an admiration of the art from a far, and to a tiny bit a self indulgence of the director's own obsession with Calvin and Hobbes. That's all fine and dandy, but with a little bit more research, he could have done more historical perspective; given some example strips, etc. Instead, it is a series of repetitive interviews all talking about pretty much the same thing.  I think I leaned to appreciate the strips a bit more; then again, I already valued Calvin and Hobbes a whole lot, so I don't know if there was anything added here. Under the no commercialization clause, I doubt the director would have been allowed to show entire strips anyhow ... so, I'm willing to cut some slack. All in all, it is a good documentary for the sake of nostalgia but read the strips for the best value. My Rating: 6.0

No comments:

Post a Comment