Monday, September 8, 2014

Ordinary People (R) 6.5

Ordinary People (1980): The accidental death of the older son of an affluent family deeply strains the relationships among the bitter mother, the good-natured father, and the guilt-ridden younger son. (7.9)

Director: Robert Redford
Writers: Judith Guest (novel), Alvin Sargent (screenplay), Nancy Dowd
Stars: Donald Sutherland, Mary Tyler Moore, Judd Hirsch

I guess, I'm one of those few people who didn't much care for this movie. In my opinion, the story started at the wrong place. It should have started at the boating accident to make us empathize more with the younger boy. At the time it was made, I suppose, a mellow sensitive father and a tough no-nonsense mother would have been a revolutionary idea, but to me the characters come across as trying too hard and arrogant. Sorry, for me, all the pieces didn't fit together while I perfectly understand that there is a strong story to be told here. Contrary to the title, this is anything but about ordinary people. Yes, the acting is superb, but the bottom line for me is that the storytelling has to be strong. My Rating: 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment