Tuesday, April 19, 2011

2046 (R) 8.0

2046 (2004): He was a writer. He thought he wrote about the future but it really was the past. In his novel, a mysterious train left for 2046 every once in a while. Everyone who went there had the same intention.....to recapture their lost memories. (7.5)

Director: Kar Wai Wong
Stars: Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Ziyi Zhang, Faye Wong and Li Gong
Languages: Mandarin, Japanese (w/ English Subtitles)

Until I read the Wikipedia entry about this movie, I didn't realize that it was the third installment of a series. No matter; for me, it was a complete movie. With Ziyi Zhang and Li Gong characters looking a bit alike, I was bit confused as to who was who. Then again, that's part of the director's intention. I loved the use of intense colors (reminded me of Dick Tracey movie), the unusual camera angles/positions. After seeing several old-style Chinese movies (w/ period costumes), this one with 60's Hong Kong night clubs and futuristic scenes was a welcome change. Ultimately, it is a movie about several broken hearts. Very emotional and intense. Several stories nicely interwoven and used to tell each other. While reading Netflix's description, I didn't think I'd like it much, but gave it a shot anyway. Loved it. My Rating: 8.0