Thursday, March 1, 2012

Three Times (PG-13) 8.0

Three Times (2005) (最好的時光; Zuì hǎo de shí guāng; lit. 'Best of Times'): Three stories set in three times, 1911, 1966 and 2005. Two actors play the two main characters in each story. (6.9)

Director: Hsiao-hsien Hou
Writers: T'ien-wen Chu, Hsiao-hsien Hou
Stars: Qi Shu, Chen Chang and Fang Mei

"A picture is worth a thousand words," remember that when watching this movie. At times, a single scene says a lot without much (or any) dialog and I loved it. Artsy! The tribute to the silent movie era in the 1911 story is perfect and I found it quite refreshing. I have thought about this movie a lot after watching it ... specifically, would I find the movie (as a whole) different if the 2005 story came first; and 1966 one at the end? I think, I would. But, the whole 2005 story gives a glimpse of the time we live in and its complications. Reminds me of this XKCD on Game Theory. Um, Yeah! Loved Qi Shu's acting. My Rating: 8.0

No comments:

Post a Comment