Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Reader (R) 8.0

The ReaderPost-WWII Germany: Nearly a decade after his affair with an older woman came to a mysterious end, law student Michael Berg re-encounters his former lover as she defends herself . (7.6)

Director: Stephen Daldry
Writers: David Hare (screenplay), Bernhard Schlink (book)
Stars: Kate Winslet, Ralph Fiennes and Bruno Ganz

The meaty part of the story came as a surprise to me as I had selected this on a whim.  I liked it that way.  Made me feel strongly about not only the larger context of the story, but also the about the personal conflicts of the two main characters.  Quite a lot of poignant moments, yet you are conflicted yourself (as an outsider watching it) because of the bigger story and the context.   Perhaps, it affected me more because my own head is messed up, but that's what a powerful story/movie is supposed to do.  Go watch this!  Then ask yourself, what would you have done in each one's shoes.  My Rating: 8.0

No comments:

Post a Comment