Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Bride Flight (R) 7.5

Bride Flight (2008): A romantic drama that charts the lives of three women from different backgrounds, forever changed when they emigrate to New Zealand as war brides. (6.9)

Director: Ben Sombogaart
Writer: Marieke van der Pol (screenplay)
Stars: Karina Smulders, Pleuni Touw, Anna Drijver

I didn't like Netflix's description of the movie; and I took the "other" meaning of the "flight" in the title. So, I was pleasantly surprised when I finally watched it. The movie, for me at least, is the look back from a funeral. (I can't help but wonder who will even turn up at my funeral; not many.) The way we the audience uncover various parts of the story is the best aspect, and the brilliance, of the storytelling. It really is how much people do care for one another and no matter how they turn out at the end, we are reminded that the memories are forever. The chemistry between the actors is superb and the three leading ladies play their parts exquisitely. The period scenes and clothing etc add to the drama. The hesitations, the second thoughts, etc are projected into the audience quite nicely. My Rating: 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment