Thursday, April 21, 2011

Father of My Children (PG-13) 6.0

Father of My Children (2009): A film producer struggles with suicidal despair. (6.9)

Director: Mia Hansen-Løve
Stars: Louis-Do de Lencquesaing, Chiara Caselli and Alice de Lencquesaing
Language: French (w/ English Subtitles)

This movie is decidedly European; French! I know, that's probably a stereotypical assessment, but that's the feeling I got throughout. I think, it's a good thing that it isn't a Hollywood creation of what Paris is supposed to be. I've only been to Paris once, ~15 years ago during a harsh Winter, but I got the authentic feeling from all the movie scenes. The aftermath of the suicide could have been done a bit better. The highly visibly emotional scenes have been skipped, but a scene or two would have been better, IMHO. I would think that the family would have been more distraught and withdrawn in the following weeks/months, but apparently they were not. Cultural differences, perhaps? I guess, my personal observation about the theme of the movie is that while the person who commits suicide escapes the reality, those who are left behind are dealt a bigger mess to clean up. Hmmm... Overall, this could have been a bit better, a bit stronger in the emotional side. Realism depicted is nice. My Rating: 6.0