Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Fountain (R) 6.5

The Fountain (2006): Spanning over one thousand years, and three parallel stories, The Fountain is a story of love, death, spirituality, and the fragility of our existence in this world. (7.4)

Director: Darren Aronofsky
Stars: Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz and Sean Patrick Thomas

Three stories, similar in nature in that looking for a way around death. It is loosely implied that the characters in all the stories are connected. If they are, it isn't explained how. Then again, the old one is (?) the present-day writer's work. In the same token, the future one is the last chapter in the same story that is finished by the writer's husband, perhaps. Unlike the IMDB snippet above, I didn't find this story any spiritual or about the fragility of life. Instead, I think, it is about how death is not the end, and there's continuation afterwards. I liked the set director and the cinematographer playing with the "points of lights" in various scenes. The main story reminded me of the tried and true formula of inventor/scientist with a dying spouse and that's why my rating is a bit low. My Rating: 6.5