Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Life of David Gale (R) 8.0

The Life of David Gale (2003): A man against capital punishment is accused of murdering a fellow activist and is sent to death row. (7.3)

Director: Alan Parker
Writer: Charles Randolph
Stars: Kevin Spacey, Kate Winslet and Laura Linney

I wanted to pick a movie that I'd seen previously and the choice was between this one and "Princes Bride" ... I picked this one, and, I suppose, that says something about my state of mind. Seeing it the second time around, I knew where the story was going, and hence, I had the time to see details of the storyline. It has quite a few minor (and not so minor) plot lines to make you really think. Capital punishment is the main-line, but then there is murder, rape, student-teacher relationship, divorce, betrayal, cancer, journalistic ethics, murder by the state, suicide, suicide for a cause, etc. etc. And, David Gale's complete lecture scene (where he says "... fantasies have to be unrealistic ...") is quite profound. Usually, the lectures or speeches in movies are just hollow words, but this one had something meaningful. The first time around, I remembered this movie for the suicide method. This time around, I understand the deeper meaning(s) the writer wanted to convey. Still, the "Securitat method" is what sticks in my head, still. "Maybe death is a gift," says David Gale in the final interview. The acting was super good. Highly recommend it. My Rating: 8.0