Monday, March 7, 2011

Primer (PG-13) 8.0

Primer (2004): Four friends/fledgling entrepreneurs, knowing that there's something bigger and more innovative than the different error-checking devices they've built, wrestle over their new invention. (6.9)

Director: Shane Carruth
Stars: Shane Carruth, David Sullivan and Casey Gooden

This is a very low budget (~$7000) Sci-Fi movie. After watching it the first time, I read the Wikipedia article about it. It has a nice diagram that explains the time-travel things. And then I watched it a second time. Still, there are several places I'm not sure about. The story is wonderful and the acting, the plot, etc are right on target. I will watch this several more times. There are parts in the movie that aren't fully explained (on purpose). It is fun to speculate on various time travel paradoxes and consequences. I like this movie a lot, specially since it is done with such a low budget and yet with the quality, care, effort and thoughtfulness that's lacking in most Hollywood blockbusters. My Rating: 8.0